> welcome < > the journal ::: a fly line runs through it <

"a fly line runs through it" - pretty clever huh? ok, clever enough. I'm a fly fisherman and a fly tyer. I thought it would be nice to have a place to talk about that - to share that with those who may be interested. so here it is - the angler's quarter. fishing stories, fly patterns, photos, and links to other sites are among what you'll find here - have fun!

alan creech
lexington, kentucky

> contact me

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Angler's Quarter!


powered by Bloglet

::: links >>>

> orvis
> trout unlimited
> cumberland trout
> kentucky trout
> ky fish & wildlife









Site Meter
::: 5.27.2003 >>


OK, that's what the creek is supposed to look like. That was me, standing in it, taking that picture, Sunday morning. That's my favorite stream by the way, Silver Creek. I got up at 6am like a real fisherman and headed out. It was still a bit chilly when I got there - see your breath chilly. It took me about an hour or so to start catching fish, but it happened. It was slow. The water was still fairly cold in general - I was surprised by that. I was starting to think the fish were on the nest - may have been but I don't think so with that water temp. I waded wet - didn't take long to get used to it. Of course later I ended up crotch deep wading across one section - that's pretty typical.

I usually start there at the falls and work down a ways. I did that after nothing happened at the falls. On my way back up I cast a wooly bugger into a side pool area where some spring water drips in from rocks above and caught two Smallmouth and 3 Sunfish. Then headed back up to the falls - nothing there again - and on upstream.


I got a workout today. Wading against current is like working out on a weight machine. Feel the burn! At one point in the adventure, as I was taking a picture, I lost my rod! Orvis 7'9" 5wt Far & Fine outfit. I've had it for around 12 years I guess. It fell into some fast current and off she went - AAAaaghhh!! I had to take off running downstream to reach down in the water and retrieve it. Of course then I stick my long-sleeve clad arm up to the elbow in water to grab the damn thing - I got it though - thank God. I ended up a little later at what I call the Peacock hole (guess what you hear in this spot sometimes). This is a long hole of water with a current tongue running all the way through it into a rock strewn tailout. One side it typically deep and the other is a rock shelf - big time Smallmouth country. I caught 3 there - one of them you see up there. I caught the earlier two on a black and olive Wooly Bugger - these 3 on a Mallard Minnow. None of them were very large, but big enough to put up a good fight. Gorgeous day, caught 5 Smallmouth and a few nice Sunfish, I needed that.


::: posted by > + Alan at 12:34 PM |
-------------------------------

Comments: Post a Comment